The 2017 USGA Annual Meeting & Service Awards Dinner was held in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, February 4. It was a day highlighted by the election of Diana Murphy as president for a second one-year term, the presentation of the Joe Dey Award and the recognition of all the Ike Grainger Award recipients.
Prior to the Annual Meeting proper there was a full day of interactive breakout sessions that included the following topics:
- Modernizing Golf’s Rules – Discussion surrounded some of the process and reason behind the USGA and R&A’s work to make the Rules easier to understand and apply. A preview of the proposed changes will be released in March. Also discussed was the new Local Rule for accidental movement of a ball on the putting green.
- Technology and Golfer Engagement – With the USGA investing heavily in technology because of the need for reliable data that can be used both by the USGA and state and regional golf associations.
- The Future of Golf Facilities – The USGA’s Research, Science and Innovation team is committed to the sustainability of golf facilities. In collaboration with the Green Section the team has addressed the key factors that impact a facility’s bottom line: the use of water, fuel, nutrients and labor. More on the subject will be featured on March 6-7 at 2017 North American Golf Innovation Symposium in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- USGA Championship Vision – The segment featured highlights on the upcoming championship season as well as the philosophy behind USGA course set-up.
A renewed focus on golfers with disabilities was announced by USGA Executive Director Mike Davis. This will include a deeper investment into the modification to the Rules, equipment standards, helping facilities to become more welcoming – and sometime soon – a national championship for golfers with disabilities. It was also announced that longtime PGA professional Bob Ford will receive the 2017 Bob Jones Award.
Other highlights from the day:
- Video of Jayne Watson, the Joe Dey Award winner.
- Video of Dr. Norman Hummel, the Green Section Award winner
- Photos of the Service Awards winners including the Ike Grainger Award, Green Section Award and Herbert Warren Wind Book Award.
Tags: Diana Murphy, United States Golf Association, USGA